A lifelong fiction writer, I explore the perspectives, strengths, and flaws of people seeking purpose in a volatile world. Through non-fiction such as The 4 Spheres of Intentional Living, my blogs and resources, and my original videos, I strive to help people grow in physical, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual engagement.
As a certified executive and life coach who incorporates mindfulness practices, I am open to thought partnership with any individual or organization that seeks to evolve. I also have a particular focus on Millennials and empowering people of color, women, and those who identify with the LGBTQ community.
My professional work has taken me to various arenas, each building upon the other, including journalism, publishing, the recording arts, ministry, financial services, health care, automotive, and wireless. I continue to learn something new every day, especially through getting to know people, places, and situations that differ from my own context.
Thank you for visiting, and I hope that we find a meaningful way to connect and support each other.
My latest posts
- Books I Recommend, Updated September 2018 - Writing and Other Arts Prose, Francine, Reading Like a Writer King, Stephen, On Writing Gilbert, Elizabeth, Big Magic Lencek, Lena, and Brunello, Pero, How to Write Like Chekhov Hemingway, Ernest, Ernest Hemingway on Writing Gioia, Ted, How to Listen to Jazz Career Development/Vocation Aujla, Dev, 50 Ways to Get a Job Johnson, Whitney L. Disrupt Yourself: […]
- The Fallacy of “Writer’s Block” - My latest video on the art and science of writing. Please let me know what you think. – John
- Some Wisdom From James Baldwin - Yesterday morning, I listened to The Paris Review podcast and heard LeVar Burton recreate a 1984 speech by the late writer James Baldwin. I was walking through my neighborhood and had to stop a few times to enter quotes into the Evernote app on my iPhone: “An artist is someone who helps you see reality.” “A […]
- Some of My Favorite Resources for Ongoing Learning and Development - Ted Talks https://www.ted.com/talks Podcasts: Radio Lab https://www.npr.org/podcasts/452538884/radiolab TED Radio Hour https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510298/ted-radio-hour Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations http://www.supersoul.tv/ The Tim Ferriss Show https://tim.blog/podcast/ Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders https://ecorner.stanford.edu/series/etl/ The Creative Exchange https://thecreativeexchange.simplecast.fm/ The Knowledge Project https://fs.blog/the-knowledge-project/ How to Be Awesome at Your Job https://awesomeatyourjob.com/podcast/ On Being https://onbeing.org/series/podcast/ Fresh Air https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381444908/fresh-air Coursera https://www.coursera.org/ HBR https://hbr.org/ Fast Company – Leadership Section https://www.fastcompany.com/leadership Forbes https://www.forbes.com/#56668b0d2254 Mindful magazine https://www.mindful.org/magazine/
- Paul Simon and the Music of the World - Last night’s Paul Simon concert in Nashville was one of the best I’ve ever attended. And it wasn’t just Simon’s beautiful singing, surprising energy, and creative approaches to tunes long-familiar and recent. Even more so, it was the amazing band that Simon generously allowed to shine throughout the two-hour event. Simon’s impressive blend of talent […]