15 Oct 9 Mindfulness Tips for The Workplace
Posted at 14:27h in Mindfulness
9 Mindfulness Tips for The Workplace
- During your commute to and from work, notice the cars, architecture, natural beauty, and other elements that surround you, as well as the emotions you’re experiencing in your body.
- When you feel stressed or anxious during a meeting or in anticipation of a meeting, presentation, or conversation, focus on your breathing for a few seconds and you’ll calm down and get focused.
- Wear a “half-smile” as you encounter people in the office, hallways, elevators, and break-rooms. This helps you to feel more relaxed and open and creates a positive aura around you.
- Listen with full attention to whomever is speaking to you or your group, which will help you to pose helpful follow-up questions and will increase the confidence of the speaker.
- Focus on one task at a time, which optimizes the brain and amplifies the quality and timeliness of your work.
- Notice emotional triggers as they occur, pausing to breathe and reflect before you respond (or before you don’t respond). This will help you to not only feel less stress but be more empathetic and solution-oriented with the people in your workplace.
- Perform small acts of kindness without being asked, such as bringing a colleague a cup of coffee or reaching out to someone who is struggling and offering to help.
- Get up from your desk numerous times across the day, stretching and walking and paying attention to how this affects your energy and physical comfort.
- Silently recite a mantra throughout the day, something positive such as “I am living my strengths” or “I’m an encouraging colleague.” This will keep negative thoughts at bay and help you focus on producing excellent work.
Pick one or two of these practices to begin with and develop them until they become muscle memory for you. And please let me know of other mindfulness practices that you incorporate into your work day.