As a Professional Certified Coach (PCC), I partner with individuals in a thoughtful and creative process to help them maximize their personal and professional potential. As a non-fiction author (The 4 Spheres of Intentional Living), I share insights and anecdotes for helping people to grow in physical, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual engagement.
As a fiction author, I explore the perspectives, strengths, and flaws of modern suburbanites trying to find purpose and passion in a world constantly in flux. In the spring of 2016, I published the final volume of what I now call my “American Angst Trilogy.” Here’s the volumes and their themes:
The Book Club Widowers: A Novel (2016)
Plot: Three Daytona Beach mothers/book club members head off on a weekend getaway and disappear, leaving husbands, children, and friends to sort through the voids, ambiguities, and personal growth needs left behind.
Key Themes: Disappointment; uncertainty; indoctrination or blind following; powerlessness; addiction; resiliency; marriage; children
The Wine Steward’s Lover (2012)
Plot: A 29-year-old Nashville woman wanders into graduate school after her promising corporate career implodes, and becomes obsessed with finding a man she met at a wine tasting while simultaneously submitting herself to the fires of intense personal growth.
Key Themes: Victim mentality; self-stewardship as heroism; ambiguity; identity (one’s job, one’s land, one’s attachments); sensory awareness; wine quality justaposed with people quality; addiction/inner darkness
Narcissus Blinked (2011)
Plot: A day in the life of a married, suburbanite advertising executive (and disillusioned ex-playwright), as he teeters on an affair with his married neighbor and runs into people who challenge his thinking and explode his self-awareness.
Key Themes: Narcissism; negativity; compassion; mindfulness; vocational love; marriage; children
Please give the “trilogy” a try, and let me know if you resonate with one or more of the themes found in these books. Book reviews on Amazon and Goodreads, plus a post on Facebook and Instagram, earn you eternal entry into the John De Marco Gratefulness Hall of Fame as well as lifelong friendship!
In addition to my books, I’ve written thousands of newspaper and magazine articles, along with Web copy, scripts and blogs.
Thank you for visiting, and please come back!
My latest posts
- My Bucket List - Recently, while on a flight from Nashville to Seattle I jotted down my first “bucket list,” at first through stream-of-consciousness and then refined and narrowed it to the best of the best before texting it to a few close loved ones. I want to get and stay happily married, and have a great relationship with […]
- A Full Revision for Intentional Readers - I’m excited to offer a completely re-written and updated version of my book The 4 Spheres of Intentional Living, available in both paperback and Kindle formats by visiting here. This book, as the title makes explicit, offers practical action steps and examples intended to help people enrich what I identify as four key “spheres” of […]
- “4 Spheres” Revision Expected Next Month - I’m expecting to release a new Kindle and paperback version of my book The 4 Spheres of Intentional Living by late June-early July, after spending the past few months re-writing roughly 90 percent of the material. This book, as the title makes explicit, offers practical action steps and examples intended to help people enrich what I […]
- Is Anything Really Worth It? - It’s been hard to put thoughts together for any kind of prose for the last few months, aside from a little bit of journaling several times per week. I’ve felt disillusioned, sad, and angry at what I perceive as a lack of individual critical thinking, compassion, and common sense on the part of so many […]
- My American Dream: Critical Thinking, Emotional Intelligence, and Mindfulness - Critical Thinking is the disciplined art of ensuring that you use the best thinking you are capable of in any set of circumstances. Emotional Intelligence is the ability to recognize, understand and manage our own emotions, while recognizing, understanding, and influencing the emotions of others. Mindfulness is the awareness that arises through paying attention, on […]