My favorite female writers span several genres, and each woman has distinguished herself as a master of her craft. If the ones who are still living got together to form their own literature faculty, the school would be without rival:
- Toni Morrison, author of Beloved and Song of Solomon
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, author of Americanah and We Should All Be Feminists
- Isabel Wilkerson, author of The Warmth of Other Suns
- Maya Angelou, author of All God’s Children Need Traveling Shoes, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, and A Song Flung Up to Heaven
- JK Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series
- Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Big Magic and Eat, Pray, Love
- Krista Tippett, author of Becoming Wise
- Francine Prose, author of Reading Like a Writer
- Gillian Flynn. author of Gone Girl and Sharp Objects
- Joan Didion, author of The White Album, Slouching Towards Bethlehem, and The Year of Magical Thinking
I think it’s imperative to read writers whose gender or gender identity differs from your own. This practice has helped to deepen my empathy and create authentic female characters.
Who are some of your favorite female writers? Please contact me and let me know.