I’m a Nashville-based writer, talent strategist, and certified executive coach. On this website, I share insights and actionable practices concerning mindfulness, learning agility, and storytelling: lifelong strengths that will help you love your career and enhance your quality of life.
Most of us are facing similar pain points: nonstop change, accelerating economic and technological disruption, and the collective “noise” that grows louder each day. The impact, for so many of us, has been confusion, distraction, and stress. Mindfulness, learning agility, and storytelling can make the difference between being overwhelmed by all of these dynamics…or leveraging them for success and well-being.
Furthermore, stories are “sticky,” remaining in our minds and easy to share socially. And the best stories create links with our lives; pictures, emotions and voices in our heads. We feel the storyteller is speaking to us in particular.
- Creating and delivering a good opening “hook” that grabs people’s fleeting attention right away
- Providing just enough context to set up the key messages you want people to walk away with
- Showing vs. telling, using “sticky” word imagery, details, and intonation to draw people into the story
- Sharing how you took a risk and what you learned
- Creating anticipation or suspense early in the story
- Providing a few (just a few) tips that people can use right away
- Using humor, body language, and audience engagement wisely and sensitively
For some examples of storytelling in action, check out this series of posts called “Storytelling Night.”
Stories With Data
Something to keep in mind: In many settings where you’re trying to influence others to make decisions or evaluate your work, telling effective stories while using data is especially important. Results matter, and it’s important to be able to speak to them both qualitatively and quantitatively.
Here’s three sites that will help you get stronger at this particular dimension of storytelling:
Looking for more insights and tips? Start with this post. And, as time permits, check out my books, and join our learning community to receive free, exclusive content via email each month with timely guidance on applying mindfulness, learning agility, and storytelling.